You are here



Special Stories


Trolley Troy

Trolley Troy is a familiar sight today on the CUPA Shelter corridors, racing up and down, running over unsuspecting human toes and canine tails of sleeping dogs ! She is one dog with grit and courage who made her disability her strongest attraction and the focal point of interest.

Troy came to us barely alive, spine broken into two in a highway accident but still with a glint in her eyes and a deep responsiveness to humans. The veterinarian on duty, for the first time, failed to take the appropriate decision. He could sense in Troy an unusual element - the dog did not behave as if she

was a paraplegic - she behaved normally trying her utmost to do all the actions that she was used to ! And she would not accept, Troy wanted to live !

And today Troy does indeed live ! Volunteers collected resources for her new trolly , conditioned her to walk in it, and though used to both her local handmade cart and the brand new imported version, Trolley Troy evokes a grudging admiration from the gang of spoilt shelter dogs and an open-mouthed public who have never seen a character and contraption like this - fighting, playing and racing with other animals and humans.

Baby's Day Out

Baby, resident adolescent bull at the CUPA shelter, is at the tender age of two and a half years. Today, his good looks and endearing behaviour is a far cry from the little, helpless 5-day old calf that was bought from the butcher's shop, wrapped in a cloth. Separated from his mother, he was a new-born baby, with large, liquid brown eyes. The shelter staff lost their hearts to his melting looks and pathetic state. It took one month and many anxious moments to put him back on his little hooves ! He had to be bottle fed and there were many days when no amount of coaxing would make him feed.
Baby is just a miniscule among the lucky few male calves that escaped the butcher's knife. Every month, hundreds of such tender, new born calves are sold for slaughter as veal.

Today Baby is the pride of the shelter. If you are lucky, you can catch him swinging open the glass entrance door of the shelter, and walking past amazed visitors, on his way back from grazing outdoors. Extremely naughty and playful, Baby seems to forget that he is no longer one !


Dusty's Story

Dusty came into our lives on the 21 st October 2005, at precisely 11:00 PM. We received a call from Amaravathi, a CUPA volunteer, that about 20-30 men were harassing and beating a horse near Ulsoor, a locality few miles away from the shelter. The ambulance was rapidly dispatched along with a few staff members to the spot.
On seeing the CUPA staff and ambulance, Dusty's tormentors fled the scene. The CUPA staff gently loaded Dusty into the ambulance and brought him to the shelter.
Dusty's is a sad story with a happy ending. He is a 3 year old horse, abandoned by his owner as he was unable to pull the jutka or the tonga cart. His foreleg was badly damaged. With constant ill-treatment, beating and starvation, Dusty also lost the use of one eye. He would wander the streets of Ulsoor, looking for scraps to eat.

On that ill fated night, a group of 20-30 men pounced on him, tied a rope around his neck and clambered on his back in twos. As they whipped him to make him trot and canter, he started to run around in circles, bewildered and unable to take the weight of the load on his back.

This happened for almost an hour till help came from Amaravathi and CUPA. The rest is history; today Dusty is a much loved and a duly respected figure (amongst the canine and feline inmates) of the shelter.



One evening, a family rushed into CUPA hospital with a black labrador for treatment. The dog named Marcus had a skin infection. The duty doctor treated the animal and advised medicated baths. The family listened, walked out with Marcus, got into their car, drove a short distance..........and threw Marcus out of the car! Poor Marcus sat dazed on the pavement not knowing what had happened to him.The only place that was immediately familiar to him was the CUPA hospital and he trotted back. The Staff were shocked to see him walking in alone and realised that he had been abandoned.
They took him under their wing and showered him with affection. Soon enough, his skin healed and he grew a glossy coat. Marcus’ life took another turning point when Christopher Peck from Hosur adopted him. Named Buddy now, he regularly visits CUPA for check-ups and to meet us all.



It was a grim day for CUPA when we heard that the State of Karnataka had issued an order on 09-12-2004 directing the transfer of baby elephant Veda from Bannerghatta Biological Park to Yerevan Zoo in Armenia in Eurasia, as a gift to the President of Armenia.
Armenia, with its devastatingly cold winters is a totally unsuitable destination for an elephant. Being an animal from warmer Southern climes and also on the grounds that the transfer amounted to cruelty as the elephant would be separated from her mother and family herd and removed from the natural forest environment of Bannerghatta Biological Park, CUPA opposed the transfer on the grounds of extreme physical and psychological abuse that Veda would be subjected to.

A writ petition was filed in W.P. No. 7046 / 2005 before the Hon’ble High Court of Karnataka against the transfer.The Hon’ble High Court dismissed the petition on 04-03-2005. While CUPA prepared itself to move the Supreme Court in appeal against the Karnataka High Court Order – the campaign was intensified and CUPA along with Born Free Foundation U.K. made fresh representations to the Hon’ble Prime Minister of India to cancel the gift to Armenia.

CUPA began its campaign against the transfer on the grounds that the sub-zero climatic conditions of Armenia was totally unsuitable for an elephant. Elephant experts were asked to write their opinions on the effects of such a transfer and the effects that this kind of captivity would have on Veda. BornFree produced invaluable documents on the status and poor conditions of the Yerevan Zoo. A parallel campaign was launched in London, with the Indian and Armenian High Commission being inundated by appeals and letters. CUPA appealed to the US organisation, Best Friends to launch a signature campaign to keep Veda at home.

Finally the long awaited news slipped in from Delhi - Elephant Veda would not go to Armenia! The National Wildlife Board under the Chairpersonship of the Hon’ble Prime Minister banned the State gifts of animals from Heads of State to other Heads of State and to foreign zoos on 17th March 2005. CUPA’s campaign to save the baby elephant was a double victory as we collectively managed not only to save Veda but also protect future elephants from being gifted away to unsuitable and hostile environments.


ITTAPPA - A Story of his fantastic journey!

Ittappa, along with 2 of his canine companions, belonged to a gang of sandalwood smugglers in Kerala,South India. His masters were caught by the police and taken into custody. Ittappa and his 2 friends were taken as 'articles' for the case against the smugglers and were forgotten in a dark, dank, damp corner of a Government Veterinary Hospital at Kasargod, Kerala for 3 long years. His companions succumbed to the misery but Ittappa struggled on and survived. CUPA, reading about his plight in a local paper, sent our Animal Welfare Inspector to Kasargod to investigate.
After many long meetings with district officials and order from the local magistrate's court, CUPA was given the responsibility of having life-long custody of Ittappa. He is today a contented member of the CUPA shelter where the priveleged permanent canine residents stay!


Hero....Heroic rescue and recovery!

Hero, as we came to name him, was owned by Mr.Balachandra. On Christmas Day.25th Dec' 2002, imagine the horror of the residents of Whitefield, a suburb of Bangalore City! Mr Balachandra tied the dog to his Matador Van and drove the vehicle a good 5km dragging the screaming dog behind him.The owner justified his action saying the dog was a biter. Mr.Roop Singh, a local resident, saw the ghastly scene and chased the van and managed to loosen the rope. The dog was left for dead until further investigation by Mr.Roop Singh revealed that his heart was still beating. He bundled the dog into a taxi and filed a First Informaton Report at the nearest Police station. The first sight of the completely bloody and wounded animal at CUPA, still leave some staff members shuddering in horror, at the memory! The able veterinarians of CUPA immediatly provided medical aid and emergency services. Hero was critical for 3 days fighting between life and death and was in the Intensive Care Unit.
Two months later, Hero made a good recovery and contrary to his owner's statement, he is one of the friendliest dogs at the shelter. Once he is stroked and petted, he will continue to rub his head and body against the person, craving for affection. Rather overweight, he is adored by the CUPA staff.